This site is a quick guide to finding a college or school that offers classes or degrees in microbiology.
Microbiology is the science and study of microorganisms. Microbiology classes and educational programs are often paired up with immunology (the study of the immune system). There are several other branches of microbiology, with a few of the most common including bacteriology (the study of bacteria) and parasitology (the study of parasites). Scientists who specialize in this area are typically called microbiologists.
Students start out earning a bachelors degree in microbiology, which provides their early base of learning. Graduate programs include both Master of Science and Ph.D. degree programs. Individuals may specialize over a variety of disciplines, such as cell biology, genetics and microbial physiology, evolution, biotechnology, and immunology.
A majority of students earning a bachelor’s degree will go on to either graduate school, medical, pharmacy or dental school.
However, many students who earned a four-year degree can move into a variety of research or technical positions. Some of these jobs may include research support working with scientists in a government, school or private company lab. Other jobs may be in the quality assurance departments of companies or government where microorganisms are studied in either the general environment, water, food or pharmaceuticals. Hospitals and human and animal health clinics need specialists to study microorganisms in both humans and animals. The medical and scientific community also needs salespeople who can speak the language of the medical or scientific professionals they talk to everyday.
Earning a graduate degree in the microbiology field expands the career choices. A masters degree will allow someone to teach at a two-year or community college while a doctoral level degree is usually necessary for teaching science at the college level or higher. A Ph.D. in Microbiology may also qualify someone for other advanced or executive positions in business or government.
If you have taken classes or been enrolled at a college in a microbiology program, we would be eager to hear about your experience. Thanks.
As the largest private university in North America, University of Phoenix has locations nationwide, and is available online in most countries around the world. Whether you're seeking a college degree at an associate's, bachelor's, master's, or doctoral level, we can help you reach your academic goal and sooner than you might think.
- B.S. in Environmental Science
- B.S. in Biological Science
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- BS in Environmental Policy and Management
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities & social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Master of Science: Environmental Policy
- Bachelor of Science: Environmental Policy and Management